Table of Contents
While it is widely played around the world, poker has many different types that are unknown to many. In Cambodia, foreign poker grinders often choose to play Pot Limit Omaha because it is the one most commonly preferred by the locals. The casino gaming industry continues to change to adapt to the many different generations of players. As such, it is vital to know the many different types of poker that you can play before a new one is invented anew.
Different Types of Poker
Many people are saying that Texas Hold’em poker only takes five minutes to learn and would take almost a lifetime to master. Hold’em is the most well-known poker game in the world, and here are the guidelines on how to play:
- Hold’em uses mandatory bets identified as blinds. The small blind is the player on the dealer’s left side and followed by the big blind, left of the small blind.
- Each player is distributed with two cards face-down. The first round of betting starts with the player to the left of the big blind. All of the players can call the big blind, raise, or fold their cards.
- After the first round of speculating, the dealer burns the card facing down before putting three community cards face-up in the middle of the poker table, followed by another series of wager starting with the player to the left of the dealer.
- The dealer deals the “Turn,” a fourth community card then followed by more betting, then a fifth community card called the “River.” A final round of betting will be dealt after.
- Any player left in the round will show their cards down to find out who will win. The players can use one, or none, or both of their hole cards and the community cards to combine the best five-card poker hand.
There are a lot of online poker games that will let you play Texas Hold’em for free before depositing real cash.
Texas Hold’em Advantages
- Not difficult to comprehend, lots of activities, and provides a genuinely advanced game plan.
- The most popular game you can play with friends, online, or in a casino.
Texas Hold’em Disadvantages
- Some people find it too uncomfortable because it gives lots of activities and exhilaration.
- The level of play is higher than the less-popular games.
Hold’em Pineapple and Crazy Pineapple Variations
Pineapple and Crazy Pineapple are the best spin-offs of Hold’em. They are much-alike Hold’em except for some notable differences.
- Each player is dealt three cards instead of two in both Pineapple and Crazy Pineapple.
- Players are required to dispose of one of their hole cards before the flop
- To discard one of their hole cards in Crazy Pineapple, players must stand by until after they see the flop.
- The big hands are made more common by the extra card.
Europeans and high-stakes gamblers most prefer Pot-Limit Omaha because it has a lot of action to be in. It is second to No-Limit Hold’em in terms of popularity.
The PLO offers you an initial four hole cards, and the limit for betting and raising is just equal to what is already in the pot.
How to Play PLO
Pot-Limit Omaha is similar to Hold’em, but there are a few different details you should be aware of. Here are the basic rules:
- PLO uses five community cards and blinds. The betting rounds, river, turn, and flop are exactly the same as Hold’em.
- In Omaha, you are required to use exactly two of your four hole cards and with your three community cards to come up with the finest five-card poker hand.
- There’s a lot of room for you to make way with four cards that often bluffing can be successfully achieved. Thus, this poker type offers plenty of action on the table.
- PLO is a spicier version of Hold’em and would let you reignite your love of poker.
- This game is widely played in Cambodia, so it is not hard to find a table to play at.
- If you’re a poker newbie, it might be best to choose a different poker type to learn first before moving on to PLO.
- Calculations of bets, including raises, can be challenging even for experienced players.
Calculating Pot Size for PLO Bets and Raises
As mentioned, calculations in PLO is a bit tricky. In general, the max amount of bet and raise that you can raise should be equal to the pot plus your call of outstanding bets. To understand it better you have first to multiply the last bet made by three. Then, add any wagers and total pot amount.
For instance, the pot has $15, and you have to call a bet of $5 with another player calling the same bet. With this given scenario, the max amount that you can raise is $35 ($5×3 + $5 +$10).
Back in the day, Seven-Card Stud was the most popular poker game. As the competitiveness of the game evolved, more people chose to play more aggressive variants, such as the PLO. If you prefer to play poker at a more steady pace, then this poker variant is best for you.
Advantages of Seven-Card Stud
- Easy to learn, especially for beginners.
- It is a good starting point if you want to learn to track folded cards.
Disadvantages of Seven-Card Stud
- The game can be rather slow.
- It can be difficult to track the hands played on the table.
The slower pace of Seven-Card Stud is the main reason why people don’t see the game broadcasted over the television. There’s just no action that can entice viewers.
The Betting Limits of Seven-Card Stud
Seven-Card comes with a straightforward betting limit for small and big betting. For a game with a small blind of $10, players can only bet and raise in increments of $10. For the big blind, it is always double the small blind.
Razz is a rather uncommonly played poker variant. In this poker game, the cards are upside down, and the goal is to have the worst hand following the traditional poker ranking. So, in Razz, the Aces are the lowest ranking. The usual flushes and straights do not have a value here. The best possible hand is, therefore, A-2-3-4-5.
The gameplay is the same as that of the Seven-Card Stud. The main difference is that the player with the low ball hand starts the game. It also follows the same betting limits as that of Seven-Card Stud.
Advantages of Razz
- It is a favored poker type of those players who like to observe players and track cards.
- Easy to learn.
- Slower pace.
- Interesting gameplay.
Disadvantages of Razz
- Fewer cash games and tournaments.
- The crowd is much older.
Best Hands in Razz
The best possible hand one can get when playing Razz is A-2-3-4-5.
Omaha Hi-Lo is another different poker type that you have to learn if you really want to be well-versed in the game. This particular poker variant, however, is easier to learn for people who have a PLO background. Omaha Hi-LO has blinds, and each player is served with four cards and can participate in four betting rounds that include a flop, turn, and river. The pot, at the end of the hand, is split between the best low hand and the best high hand.
During the game, each player has to build two different hands (one high and one low hand), using two of their hole cards and three from the board.
Advantages of Omaha Hi-Lo
- It has a low level of play since you can get the beat of the game even with a few practices.
- One can use effective strategies to improve their chances of scooping (winning the entire pot for both hands).
Disadvantages of Omaha Hi-Lo
- Hands, draws, and winners can be a bit confusing at first.
- Live games are rare.
Omaha Eight or Better
Omaha Eight or Better is a variation of the card game. But, there are stark differences. In Omaha Hi-Lo, winners of the best high and the best low hands get equal pots. In Omaha Eight or Better, a player must have a qualifying low hand – which may be an eight low or better, hence the name.